The DiskStation DS215+ 2-Bay Diskless NAS Server from Synology offers high performance, energy efficiency, and complete business features in a network attached storage solution. Designed for multitasking applications, the DS215+ helps small and medium businesses centralize backup, protect critical assets, and share files quickly and efficiently. Natively equipped with two drive bays that are capable of supporting 3.5″ and 2.5″ SATA III 6 Gb/s and SATA II 3 Gb/s hard drives and SSDs, the DS215+ will allow you to store and share a large number of files, including videos, music, photos, and documents with up to 2,048 users. It may also be configured as RAID 0, RAID 1, Synology Hybrid RAID, Basic RAID, or JBOD.
The DS215+ runs using the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) OS, which is a browser-based operating system which helps to simplify managing your Synology NAS. Its CPU is a 1.4 GHz Annapurna AL-212 Dual-Core processor and its 1GB of DDR3 RAM allows frequently-used files to be quickly accessed. When configured as RAID 1 and operating in a Windows environment, the DS215+ is capable of achieving read speeds of over 209 MB/s and write speeds of over 139 MB/s. When the dedicated hardware engine is equipped, the DS215+ is still able to achieve read speeds of over 145 MB/s and write speeds of over 71 MB/s. It also features 2 x USB 3.0 ports and 1 x eSATA port which allow it to be connected to your Windows, Mac, or Linux system. Internet connectivity is achieved via dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, which in addition to having failover and Link Aggregation support, also allows your stored data to be shared with users throughout the network. Data may also be made remotely available through the free iOS and Android application DS cloud.
The DS215+ is also engineered to be energy efficient. Not only does it offer a larger 92 x 92mm fan and smart airflow to help keep the system running cool at all times, its noise dampening design of 19.2 dB(A) makes for quiet operation. The server supports numerous scheduled power on / off cycles and hard drive hibernation to further minimize power consumption and operation expenses.
The DS215+ operates on 100-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz (single phase) and includes an accessory pack, an AC Adapter, an AC power cord, and 2 x RJ-45 LAN cables.
- Dual-Core CPU
- Powered by a 1.4 GHz Annapurna AL-212 Dual-Core CPU and with Link Aggregation enabled, the DS215+ delivers read speeds over 209 MB/s and write speeds over 139 MB/s under a RAID 1 configuration in a Windows environment, while the 1GB DDR3 RAM increases DS215+’s multitasking power
- Hardware Encryption Engine
- The DS215+ is equipped with an encryption engine which offloads the encryption calculation tasks from the main CPU. Thus, the CPU is free for other important tasks, producing an increase in throughput. On average, the DS215+ delivers encrypted data transmission speeds of over 145 MB/s reading and 71 MB/s writing
- Dual LAN with Failover and Link Aggregation Support
- Equipped with two Gigabit LAN ports featuring failover and Link Aggregation support, the DS215+ helps ensure continual network service in case one LAN connection fails and enhances connection speeds beyond the limits of a single cable or port. By supporting Adaptive Load Balancing, the DS215+ allows you to benefit from failover and load balancing without a pricey switch. Active-standby, 802.3ad dynamic, and Balanced XOR are supported as well
- USB 3.0 and eSATA
- The DS215+ boasts 2 x USB 3.0 ports and 1 x eSATA port to connect to various kinds of external storage devices, while ensuring fast and efficient file transfer speeds. USB 3.0 support offers transfer speeds of up to 5 Gbps (about 10 times faster than USB 2.0), taking less time to transfer data to external hard drives and reducing power consumption
- Hard Drive Installation and Hot-Swappable Support
- For user friendly hard drive installation, the DS215+ features a screwless drive bay design and hot-swappable support, allowing users to install 3.5″ hard drives without a screwdriver
- Synology DiskStation Manager OS
- Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) is a sleek, browser-based operating system running on every DiskStation, which makes managing your Synology NAS a breeze. Featuring an intuitive user interface, DSM makes accessing and sharing your data smarter and simpler. Synology’s Package Center lets you download and install useful add-on packages designed specifically for individual or business needs, meaning you can enjoy more entertainment in your life or better productivity at work
- File Station
- File Station is a fast and secure feature for sharing and managing your files stored on the DS215+. Just drag-n-drop and upload data from Mac or PC. Advanced filters make it easy to search for documents, photos, or videos. With built-in FTP or email clients, the DS215+ lets you organize and share files through an advanced web application effortlessly. You can even share files and folders with others by simply sending a link. Files can be reached on mobile devices via the companion mobile app DS file. HTTPS, SSL/TLS encryption, and link expiry dates also ensure file sharing over the Internet is highly secure
- Compatible Sharing
- Enjoy seamless files sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms as the DS215+ offers comprehensive network protocol support including FTP, SMB2, AFP, NFS, and WebDAV. With Windows AD and LDAP integration, the DS215+ can fit into virtually any existing network environment – there is no need for IT administrators to maintain two sets of credentials. You also won’t worry about missing files with the Recycle Bin feature which is supported on AFP, CIFS, File Station, and WebDAV. All files deleted in a shared folder will be automatically moved into the Recycle Bin
- Business Environment Integration
- With the support of Windows AD, LDAP, and Domain Trust, the DS215+ enables seamless account integration. The User Home feature can automatically create a “home” folder for every user account to minimize the administrator’s effort in repeatedly creating “home” folders for all accounts. Windows ACL support on the DS215+ allows IT administrators to fine tune access controls and set up privileges to files and folders on DS215+ through the familiar Windows user interface. With compatibility for major protocols, DS215+ can eliminate server configuration overhead and enhance IT administrators’ efficiency
- All-In-One Server
- Offering rich office applications, the DS215+ can serve as your multi-function server. With add-on packages Mail Server and Mail Station, the DS215+ can become a dedicated mail server and let you enjoy complete webmail service. The DS215+ can become a VPN server or VPN client. The comprehensive VPN service let you access resources remotely while maintaining security protocols. As a printer server, the DS215+ helps minimize businesses’ operating costs by sharing printing resources throughout the office. Administration and network tools, such as DNS Server, Directory Server, RADIUS Server, DHCP Server, and Log Center help you manage IT deployment and policies more efficiently
- Cloud Solutions
- With comprehensive cloud solutions, the DS215+ lets you create your own private cloud. Cloud Station is the suitable package to sync files across multiple devices. Files can be edited in offline mode and later synced to Cloud Station, which keeps up to 32 historical versions, allowing you to restore a file back to previous version or recover deleted files. With the mobile app DS cloud, any change made to a file is automatically synced to your smartphones and tablets. For distributed enterprises, Synology’s 2-way sync between different DiskStations ensures employees at different locations share the same information in real-time. IT administrators can handpick individual folders that they want to sync to different devices, manually or automatically based on file format and size. Folders synced by Cloud Station can be encrypted on DSM – no one will be able to access its content without your private key
- Secure Your Data
- The DS215+ offers advanced security measures to protect you from potential security holes. Security Advisor analyzes system settings, password strength, network preferences, and removes any possible malware. AppArmor blocks malicious programs from accessing unauthorized system resources. You can also customize the trust level in Package Center to avoid installing packages from untrusted sources, safeguarding your NAS from unknown or tampered files. In addition, the DS215+ provides other security add-ons, such as AES encryption, 2-Step verification, IP block & allow list, Antivirus packages, firewall, and DoS attack prevention
- Synology develops versatile mobile apps – DS note, DS audio, DS video, DS photo+, DS cloud, DS file, DS download, and DS cam – allowing you to access and manage the contents of your DS215+ with smartphones and tablets. QuickConnect brings an easier network experience as it eliminates complicated router configuration or port forwarding
- Eco-Friendly NAS Server
- All Synology NAS are designed with energy efficiency in mind. TheDS215+ only consumes 8.96W in HDD Hibernation and 20.77W in access. The support of Wake on LAN/WAN and scheduled power on and off can further reduce power consumption and operating costs